Making the right home elevator choice is an important one. Much of it begins with your reason for choosing to have a residential elevator in your home; whether it be for comfort, prestige, care or as an investment to future proof your property.
While it can be tempting to go for a low-cost option, such as an outdated stair lift, mobility solutions have come a long way in recent years and you can now move around your home, unrestricted by the stairs, using a range of compact, stylish, high-spec home elevators.
As part of the research process, it helps to write down all of your queries ahead of an initial consultation. But to help get you started, here are the top five common customer questions we receive at Stiltz all answered expertly by our sales team.
- Will I feel good using a home elevator? The great thing about having a residential elevator installed in your home is that offers you comfort and provides you with the independence to fully move both levels of your house. Stair lifts can often be an undignified experience for the user and very obtrusive because of the way the product has to be attached to the staircase. Home elevators look modern and stylish, whereas stair lifts look outdated and cumbersome.
- Will having a residential elevator enhance my home and add value to it? Home elevators are designed to be admired and then forgotten. The design is ergonomic and modern with sleek lines and semi-transparent body. It will often blend seamlessly into the background of any room. A residential elevator will also nearly always add value to your home, whereas a stair lift might devalue it.
- Will it get more difficult to use the home elevator over time? Stair lifts require you to climb in and out of a seat and swivel at the top of the stairs; this can be tricky as you get older or you may require assistance. A home elevator, on the other hand, is extremely flexible and easy for almost anyone to use and can be fitted with a fold down seat. You can also buy a home lift which accommodates a regular wheelchair and our thru-car model even allows you to enter on one side and exit on the other.
- Will I feel safe using a home lift as I age? Getting on and off a stair lift as it becomes more difficult as you age at the top of the stairs can become a scary place. A Stiltz home elevator can be placed away from the stairs and, therefore, the danger area. The ride is smooth and almost silent. You are at the controls and there is a battery back up which carries you safely to your destination point in the event of a power cut. There are multiple safety features such an emergency stop button, out of balance sensors, over speed detection sensors and top and bottom safety pans which stops the lift if there is an obstruction in its path, giving you total peace of mind.
- Is the product versatile? Can I use it to move things as well as myself and get more value from it? The great thing about residential elevators is that they can be used to transport a whole range of things making daily tasks lighter and easier. Use your home lift to carry heavy laundry, suitcases, boxes, grandchildren and even pets!
Overall, think about the long-term benefits, safety and dignity attached to installing a home elevator in your home. Over the years at Stiltz, we have seen many people spend money on the lowest cost products only to replace them after a couple of years. Whatever choice you do end up making, be sure it is the right one not just for now, but for the long-term. Or as we say at Stiltz, do it once, do it right.